Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Halloween Challenge interview – Liz McQueen of PlayinHookyDesigns




Your Name: Liz McQueen



Where are you from? Originally Arlington, Tx, but now I live in the mountains of Colorado in a town called Salida.
Favorite crochet hook? My square handled I hook (yes, I said square!)
Favorite fiber to work with? Alpaca is my favorite fiber when I can get my hands on it, but for the most part I use Vanna's choice acrylic yarn.
How long have you been crocheting and who taught you?
My sister in law taught me how to crochet (and knit) when I was pregnant with my daughter, 4 years ago. I got addicted quick! After she taught me the basics I taught myself all the more complicated stitches because I couldn't get enough and I wanted to keep learning!
How would you describe your own personal style and how is this reflected in your crochet designs?
I would say I'm funky, bright, textured, and fun! I really like using bright colors and I have to tell myself to tone it down a little sometimes. I like designing hats that are interesting to look at and also functional (it's cold here in CO!).
What was the inspiration for your challenge item?
Hmmm...well, when I designed my "Avalanche Hat" I always thought the inside looked like a spider web b/c you carry the unused yarn at t he back of the work instead of crocheting over it. So I had a lightning strike and thought it would look cool to take that design and run the yarn on the Right Side instead of the Wrong Side. When I was making the hat for the competition I almost frogged it and did something else. But I trusted in my original idea and kept going even though I wasn't sure it would look good. Since then I've made 7 of them as custom orders! And to think I almost gave up on it! That was a great lesson for me - trust your ideas; if it doesn't work then start over, if it does GREAT things can happen!
What, in your opinion is the best thing about crochet?
You can always start over! I love "making string pretty" (I wish I could take credit for that quote, but I can't) and working with all the amazing fiber out there. Recently crochet has brought me to some amazing people too!
What's on your hook now?
A custom order - Along Came a Spider Halloween Beanie (of course!) in Spiderman colors (Red background, black spiderweb, blue edging).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your work is always so cute and original - keep it up! I love it!

PlayinHooky said...

Thank you so much Kim!